- University Home
- All categories
- Sword steel
- Sword furniture
- Japanese Sword Craftsmanship
- Samurai fighting arts (bujutsu)
- Samurai culture and customs
- Myths and beliefs
- Practical hints and guidance for sword owners
2 users online | 2 Guests and 0 Registered
12 search results
- Backyard cutting: Backyard cutting: Proper grip of the sword
Answer: The grip on the katana is of paramount importance as it affects everything from the way you swing the sword to the way the force ...
- Practical hints and guidance for sword owners: Pulling muscles, Suburi and why you need a non-sharp sword
Answer: As with anything strenuous, especially things that we're not used to, there is at least some risk of injury. I found this out on two ...
- Samurai fighting arts (bujutsu): Buying a iaito
Answer: Congratulations! After several months of training with a bokken you just received permission from your sensei to look out for a iaito. This article has ...
- Samurai fighting arts (bujutsu): Should I train with iaito or shinken?
Answer: Without doubt one should never begin their swordsmanship training with a fully sharpened sword. Regardless of the talent or experience in other martial arts. First of ...
- Backyard cutting: Closed upward diagonal cut - one thing to watch out for
Answer: The closed upward diagonal cut. This was probably the easiest cut for me to get right first time but I did experience some issues with ...
- Sword furniture: Did samurai wear gloves?
Answer: Some time ago I received a question why dashi-same sword handles exist. The term dashi-same is used when a Japanese sword handle is NOT wrapped ...
- Sword steel: Visual Glossary of the Japanese Sword
Answer: 1 Toshin2 Nakago3 Nagasa4 Nakago-jiri5 Nakago shinogi6 Katana-mei7 Mekugi-ana8 Yasuri-mei9 Ha-machi10 Ubu-ha11 Ha (Ha-saki)12 Hamon13 Habuchi / Yakiba14 Ji (Hira-ji)15 Yokote16 Kissaki17 Mune-machi18 Bo-hi tome19 ...
- Backyard cutting: What is hasuji from a backyard cutters viewpoint?
Answer: What is hasuji exactly? Hasuji is the path your sword takes in a cut and the edge alignment whilst in that cut. 'Good' hasuji happens when ...
- Sword furniture: Menuki on top of the tsukamaki - Uki menuki
Answer: Have a look at this lovely menuki that we've used on a very special custom sword, but more about that later :) Today is all ...
- Practical hints and guidance for sword owners: Stopping distance training
Answer: We often train our bodies to be able to swing the sword towards the target be it imaginary or something tangible like bamboo or plastic ...
- Samurai culture and customs: Kata-te-Uchi
Answer: When I wrote on the evolution of the Japanese sword I described the transition between tachi and katana but one thing I didnt mention was ...
- Practical hints and guidance for sword owners: What is Shobu Zukuri?
Answer: Katana, as you know, come in many different shapes, lengths and styles and the most immediately obvious facet of this configuration is the shape of ...
The most popular searches are:
- A heads up on practical sharpening of your katana ... (77359 views)
- The open side upward diagonal cut - Problematic for ... (60294 views)
- Visual Glossary of the Japanese Sword (57270 views)
- Buying a iaito (45749 views)
- How do I display my katana or tachi? (35857 views)
- Dotanuki (33216 views)
- Training dual sword wielding - Part One. (33076 views)
- Double cuts - Getting started (29513 views)
- How the Japanese sword evolved into todays modern Katana ... (28546 views)
- Niku (hira-niku) and tameshigiri (24522 views)
- About signatures / mei (2015-08-21 13:04)
- Recognizing quality of a tsuka (2015-08-21 12:18)
- The Nekomata - (or Strange supernatural cat demons) (2015-02-03 11:55)
- What is Shobu Zukuri? (2015-01-22 00:25)
- What is Suriage? (2015-01-16 12:37)
- Higonokami (2015-01-15 22:31)
- Craftsmen of the Japanese sword (2014-11-26 20:09)
- Kata-te-Uchi (2014-11-18 22:45)
- Does the curvature of the katana really convey any ... (2014-11-12 17:01)
- Kogarasu Maru (2014-11-09 21:33)
- Cardboard tubes as an alternative target (2014-11-02 14:15)
- Are exotic folded steels better for cutters? (2014-11-02 14:14)
- The dangers of Nukitsuke and lapses of concentration. (2014-11-02 14:00)
- On taking some inspiration from Martial artists but still ... (2014-11-02 13:59)
- Stopping distance training (2014-11-02 13:54)