- University Home
- All categories
- Sword steel
- Sword furniture
- Japanese Sword Craftsmanship
- Samurai fighting arts (bujutsu)
- Samurai culture and customs
- Myths and beliefs
- Practical hints and guidance for sword owners
5 users online | 5 Guests and 0 Registered
- Choosing a sword for Backyard Tameshigiri
I've been doing so called backyard tameshigiri or freestyle cutting for a couple of years now, but only relatively recently have I really kicked it ...
- Can my katana break?
Japanese swords can most certainly break as they are considered among lightest and thinnest swords in the world. It is only due to the internal ...
- Closed upward diagonal cut - one thing to watch out for
The closed upward diagonal cut. This was probably the easiest cut for me to get right first time but I did experience some issues with ...
- Chip and slice, a light hearted way to train tracking
At some point, you're going to end up looking for new ways to cut, Something to shake it up a bit as it were and ...
- Cleaning your sword after use
Cleaning your sword after use or handling should be a priority, as if you do not then pitting, rusting and general steel degradation can occur ...
- Chikubushima Ryu Bojutsu
- Cardboard tubes as an alternative target
So a little while back now, whilst out and about, I spotted some cardboard tubes that were going to be thrown out. This opportunity to ...
- Craftsmen of the Japanese sword
The making of a Japanese sword is a very complex process. Traditionally a sword is made by several craftsmen; an impressive number of (at least) ...
- A heads up on practical sharpening of your katana ... (79081 views)
- The open side upward diagonal cut - Problematic for ... (60463 views)
- Visual Glossary of the Japanese Sword (57886 views)
- Buying a iaito (46069 views)
- How do I display my katana or tachi? (36901 views)
- Training dual sword wielding - Part One. (33659 views)
- Dotanuki (33535 views)
- Double cuts - Getting started (29633 views)
- How the Japanese sword evolved into todays modern Katana ... (29136 views)
- Niku (hira-niku) and tameshigiri (25067 views)
- About signatures / mei (2015-08-21 13:04)
- Recognizing quality of a tsuka (2015-08-21 12:18)
- The Nekomata - (or Strange supernatural cat demons) (2015-02-03 11:55)
- What is Shobu Zukuri? (2015-01-22 00:25)
- What is Suriage? (2015-01-16 12:37)
- Higonokami (2015-01-15 22:31)
- Craftsmen of the Japanese sword (2014-11-26 20:09)
- Kata-te-Uchi (2014-11-18 22:45)
- Does the curvature of the katana really convey any ... (2014-11-12 17:01)
- Kogarasu Maru (2014-11-09 21:33)
- Cardboard tubes as an alternative target (2014-11-02 14:15)
- Are exotic folded steels better for cutters? (2014-11-02 14:14)
- The dangers of Nukitsuke and lapses of concentration. (2014-11-02 14:00)
- On taking some inspiration from Martial artists but still ... (2014-11-02 13:59)
- Stopping distance training (2014-11-02 13:54)