- University Home
- All categories
- Sword steel
- Sword furniture
- Japanese Sword Craftsmanship
- Samurai fighting arts (bujutsu)
- Samurai culture and customs
- Myths and beliefs
- Practical hints and guidance for sword owners
14 users online | 14 Guests and 0 Registered
- Hardening of modern Japanese swords
As promised the next part about Japanese sword hardening on modern made swords. Please make sure you download the FULL SIZE image by clicking on ...
- How is Tamahagane made?
Metallurgical speaking Tamahagane is a steel ore made from iron sand and charcoal (carbon). These two materials are smelted in a bloomery also known as ...
- How do I put on my Kaku Obi?
Simple :) Just follow the instructions in this video we made! ...
- How do I become a Samurai?
Well, in short... you don't :) You can however study the traditional fighting arts of the samurai. A good start is to look in your ...
- How is the length of a sword measured?
Traditionally, Japanese swords are measured in shaku, sun and bu. The 'shaku-system' works - just like the metric system - with decimals. The main difference ...
- How do I fix my loose saya?
With any sword regardless of how well made it is, the once perfect fit of the blade into the saya will start to loosen up. ...
- How do I display my katana or tachi?
So you've got a sword and you're not sure how best to display it. There are many different styles of stands that are available for ...
- How do I acid etch my blade?
Acid etching can bring out the hamon on blades that otherwise might not show one at all. For more information on what it is, click ...
- Horizontal bottle cuts - a couple of pointers
Horizontal cuts are evil. They are the number one 'bottle bouncer' in my experience. It can be very frustrating regardless of whether or not you're ...
- Hyōhō Niten Ichi ryū
Hyōhō Niten Ichi ryū 兵法二天一流 was founded by Musashi Miyamoto in mid 17th century, and specializes in kenjutsu (swordmanship).The founder (Musashi Miyamoto) is one of ...
- How to toughen up the wrap on your tsuka
Most production katana come with poor tsukamaki or handle wrapping and this is one of the points of a sword that you should be safety ...
- How do you perform noto?
Noto, or the act of resheathing the sword is really practiced to it's extremes in arts like iaido but for the average cutter it can ...
- How to fix a rattling tsuba
A loose tsuba is a common problem with production katana, this is because the hole in the centre of the tsuba has been cut large ...
- How the Japanese sword evolved into todays modern Katana
The katana has been touted as the finest sword ever made, capable of astounding cutting ability, durability and of course beautiful aesthetics. It would be ...
- Highlights from Asakusa Kobudo Enbu Martial Arts Exhibition April 2012
- Hozoin Ryu
Meiji Jingu Martial Arts Demonstration 2012 hozoin ryu takadaha soujutsu ...
- How to tie your Obi
One of the things that I have been wanting for a while finally arrived in my life courtesy of a friend from afar. As I ...
Alongside my fascination with the japanese sword I often find myself becoming interested in other facets of the culture, some big others small, and one ...
- A heads up on practical sharpening of your katana ... (86013 views)
- The open side upward diagonal cut - Problematic for ... (60863 views)
- Visual Glossary of the Japanese Sword (59295 views)
- Buying a iaito (47748 views)
- How do I display my katana or tachi? (39711 views)
- Training dual sword wielding - Part One. (35222 views)
- Dotanuki (34159 views)
- How the Japanese sword evolved into todays modern Katana ... (30544 views)
- Double cuts - Getting started (29896 views)
- Niku (hira-niku) and tameshigiri (26108 views)
- About signatures / mei (2015-08-21 13:04)
- Recognizing quality of a tsuka (2015-08-21 12:18)
- The Nekomata - (or Strange supernatural cat demons) (2015-02-03 11:55)
- What is Shobu Zukuri? (2015-01-22 00:25)
- What is Suriage? (2015-01-16 12:37)
- Higonokami (2015-01-15 22:31)
- Craftsmen of the Japanese sword (2014-11-26 20:09)
- Kata-te-Uchi (2014-11-18 22:45)
- Does the curvature of the katana really convey any ... (2014-11-12 17:01)
- Kogarasu Maru (2014-11-09 21:33)
- Cardboard tubes as an alternative target (2014-11-02 14:15)
- Are exotic folded steels better for cutters? (2014-11-02 14:14)
- The dangers of Nukitsuke and lapses of concentration. (2014-11-02 14:00)
- On taking some inspiration from Martial artists but still ... (2014-11-02 13:59)
- Stopping distance training (2014-11-02 13:54)