- University Home
- All categories
- Sword steel
- Sword furniture
- Japanese Sword Craftsmanship
- Samurai fighting arts (bujutsu)
- Samurai culture and customs
- Myths and beliefs
- Practical hints and guidance for sword owners
3 users online | 3 Guests and 0 Registered
- The open side upward diagonal cut - Problematic for some
The upward diagonal cut is difficult for some, myself included and its not made any easier by my lack of formal training. In fact it's ...
- The craftsmen behind the Japanese sword
The making of a Japanese sword is a very complex process. Traditionally a sword is made by several craftsmen; an impressive number of (at least) ...
- The quick and dirty low down on cutting newspaper
Cutting newspaper is difficult. This would be the shortest article in the world if I left it there but it would be accurate. Its devilishly ...
- Tenshin Shōden Katori Shintō ryū
Tenshin Shōden Katori Shintō ryū 天真正伝香取神道流 was founded by Iizasa Ienao in mid 15th century, and ia a sōgō-bujutsu (a complete warrior system).Katori Shintō ryū ...
- The "Freestyle Cutting" curriculum
Ok, so I talk a lot about how you should go about doing certain cuts and how you should keep your sword sharp and so ...
- The Suburito, an incredibly useful tool to strengthen arm muscles.
I have sustained so many injuries, 100's of injuries in fact, since I started cutting more seriously. Now I can tell you that exactly 2 ...
- Training dual sword wielding - Part One.
Training two swords, or dual wielding is definitely a different kind of practice, a more risky one. I mean for one, it has no practical ...
- Training dual sword wielding - Part Two
Ok, this is a continuation of the last article entitled, as you may of guessed, "Training Dual Sword Wielding - Part One". So if you ...
- The new X1 Curriculum
The what? Firstly, Let me give you a rundown of how I got here. Having reached the end of the first cutting curriculum, I looked around ...
- The Upward Diagonal Cut revisited
A while ago I wote an article called "The upward diagonal cut" and from the number of views it has received along with conversations with ...
- Takenouchi Ryu
Meiji Jingu Martial Arts Demonstration 2012 Takenouchi Ryu ...
- Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu Heiho (otake)
Meiji Jingu 2012 Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu Heiho (otake group) ...
- Tatsumi Ryu
- Tennen Rishin ryu
- Toda ha buko Ryu
- Toyama ryu
- Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu
- Tendo ryu
- Takenouchi Ryu
- The dangers of Nukitsuke and lapses of concentration.
Recently I saw a video of someone who had been practicing draw cuts on falling fruit and he had ended up cutting himself very badly ...
- The Nekomata - (or Strange supernatural cat demons)
Every culture has it's own mythology and fantastic tales which are used at least in part to explain weird or unusual occurences that otherwise would ...
- A heads up on practical sharpening of your katana ... (81838 views)
- The open side upward diagonal cut - Problematic for ... (60673 views)
- Visual Glossary of the Japanese Sword (58629 views)
- Buying a iaito (47172 views)
- How do I display my katana or tachi? (38441 views)
- Training dual sword wielding - Part One. (34526 views)
- Dotanuki (33895 views)
- How the Japanese sword evolved into todays modern Katana ... (29934 views)
- Double cuts - Getting started (29774 views)
- Niku (hira-niku) and tameshigiri (25646 views)
- About signatures / mei (2015-08-21 13:04)
- Recognizing quality of a tsuka (2015-08-21 12:18)
- The Nekomata - (or Strange supernatural cat demons) (2015-02-03 11:55)
- What is Shobu Zukuri? (2015-01-22 00:25)
- What is Suriage? (2015-01-16 12:37)
- Higonokami (2015-01-15 22:31)
- Craftsmen of the Japanese sword (2014-11-26 20:09)
- Kata-te-Uchi (2014-11-18 22:45)
- Does the curvature of the katana really convey any ... (2014-11-12 17:01)
- Kogarasu Maru (2014-11-09 21:33)
- Cardboard tubes as an alternative target (2014-11-02 14:15)
- Are exotic folded steels better for cutters? (2014-11-02 14:14)
- The dangers of Nukitsuke and lapses of concentration. (2014-11-02 14:00)
- On taking some inspiration from Martial artists but still ... (2014-11-02 13:59)
- Stopping distance training (2014-11-02 13:54)